Sunday 27 December 2009

Be Italian

So excited today that my younger son isn't leaving.
He was supposed to go back to the States today, which was way too early for all of us. He's only been here nine days -- and that just wasn't enough for anyone.
He was due to fly out this morning and then go skiing with two college buddies and spend New Year's Eve with them in upstate New York.
But those plans fell through.
Yey! We immediately changed his ticket to Jan. 2.
Truth is, we were all crushed a couple months ago when he announced that he'd be leaving before New Year's, but we were all good, understanding of his desire to spend time with college friends this last year of school.
But still upset.
My eldest son, particularly, wanted his younger brother -- his lifelong sidekick -- to be here as long as possible. For New Year's here with him in this big new city. Don't blame him.
And so did we.
The nine days have gone by in a flash, of course. But now we've got a week left.
It takes awhile for everyone to settle into the family again.
Especially in a new place.
Where you have no favorite things to do or places to go.
Last night, we went to see Rob Marshall's new musical, Nine, which is all about Italy. And then had pizzas.
Italy.
Italia, the name of the movie Daniel Day-Lewis, brilliant as director Guido Contini, is trying to make in Nine.
Part of the movie was filmed on the lake near our side of the hill.
We were floored when the name of the town came up on the movie screen.
Be Italian.
That's one of the movie's big numbers.
That's what my eldest son is off to be soon. I hope it all works out for him. I'm worried, of course. Much more than he is.
We're leaving for Italy soon, he and I, right after my younger son goes back to the States. I'm going for a couple weeks to settle him in for his new internship. Which we hope will turn into a job.
My son has a lot of Italian in him. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.
The person he looks like the most is my Neapolitan father, Luigi -- who he actually resembles a lot. My husband has always said he's the Iacono male of the family, my maiden name. No argument there.
They say it skips a generation, right?
Can he do this?
Work in Italy, all in Italian, live by himself on the side of a hill, drive in an hour every day to what we think will be a high-powered environment and then an hour back?
Be Italian?

No comments:

Post a Comment