Tuesday 23 March 2010

London's daffodils

The daffodils are out in London. Finally.
They're more than a month late.
But now, they're everywhere. Every park, every green, thousands of them.
Hello, hello, hello! You sunny little harbingers of spring, you.
What a winter.
Everywhere had a bad winter, it seems.
Not just here.
I've worn one of two big black coats I own every day for months here. With a big scarf.
I am so sick of it. My scarf is fraying.
What the hell. I want to chuck it in the bin, as they say here.
This morning was beautiful, warm, balmy almost.
Everyone immediately dressed down.
I walked to the Tube on the sunny side of the high road, letting that sun just shine on me.
It felt so good.
When I got in, someone at work suggested we go sit in a nearby park at lunch and eat outside. Yes.
Within an hour, it had clouded up. Gotten windy.
We got busy. Scrapped lunch.
By the time I got home, it was raining.
Didn't have the umbrella, of course.
My hair got wet. Looks like complete shit when it gets wet like that. Just as frizzy as all get out.
Gotta take what you can get here.
When it's sunny, you go out then. Right Then. Not two hours later.
That's the trick.
Been thinking about Italy.
Been talking to my son there a lot.
At least we're in the same time zone.
Italy feels like another planet, though.
Always does when you're here.
It's close, yeah.
One cheap(ish) flight away.
But really far too.

No comments:

Post a Comment