Friday 11 June 2010

The Grocery Store

Are you home when you know your way around your grocery store?
Or when you know which grocery store to go to?
It helps.
I remember when I first got here, I had no idea where to shop -- for even the most basic things.
Not to mention what doctor to go to (still working on all that), where to get my hair done (also still a work in progress), where to get a coffee (nailed that), the drugstore, anything actually.
I was so disoriented.
There are four grocery stores within walking distance of me, not to mention smaller specialty stores, like butchers, a fishmonger, bakeries (including the new Gail's), a dozen or more hairdressers (very lucrative business here), etc.
You get the idea.
I figured out quickly that the biggest grocery store was where I wanted to do most of my shopping. All the smaller ones have things I pop in for now and again.
I remember one day at the big supermarket early on being confronted by dozens of new brands of laundry soap in new configurations I had never seen (they're big on gel cap-like-thingies here that you put in with your wash).
I felt like crying. I did cry, I think.
Had spent 10 minutes looking for laundry soap in the big store.
Then had no idea what the hell to buy once I got there.
No to mention no dryer to finish off the wash.
Missed my old grocery store like hell that day.
Getting used to a lot now.
Know which laundry gel cap I like (they're actually pretty convenient).
Have learned to live without a dryer.
And a car.
And a big house.
Welcome Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment