Wednesday 24 June 2009

Back in the U.S. of A


     Need to add another country to the list of countries where I don't feel I belong anymore, I guess -- the good 'ol U.S. of A. Where the hell do I belong these days?
     Feels oddly strange to be back here now. Geez.  
     Charleston was never home, so that's understandable. It's not like we went back to where we lived for a dozen years.
      My husband is having fun with this confusion. He's been humming Springsteen's "Born in the USA" at me with a knowing little smile.
     We had trouble getting in, and missed our connecting flight from Atlanta, which didn't help. 
     Usually, the immigration officer welcomes you home, smiling.
     But yesterday, it was all business and "go wait to talk to the officer in that office over there."
     My husband lost his green card once years ago and had to apply for another one, so that comes up on the computer when we go through Passport Control. By the time we had sorted it out, we ran like hell to the connecting gate only to see the door shutting as we panted up.
     I didn't like that my husband had trouble getting in. Made me feel nervous. When the officer asked him how long it had been since he was here and he replied mid-February, the officer looked at him warily and asked him when was the last time he filed U.S. taxes. 
    Just the other day actually, sir. June 15 deadline for overseas filers.
    Can we be allowed back home now, please? Or whatever this is.
    We went and had a cappuccino while we waited for the next flight to Charleston.
    My husband remarked on how many large people there were around, so many more than in Europe, he said. I pointed out five or six people who weren't large. He replied that at least two of them didn't look American. 
     I said the cappuccino was actually really good, better than the average one in Britain, where they often tend to be too hot and bitter for my taste.
     He said something about how I shouldn't just write off all the cappuccinos in Britain. And did I notice how massive the cookie we ordered to share with our cappuccinos was?  
     I hate it when we divide down country lines like that. 
     Neither of us wanted to take it any further though, so we picked up a stray copy of USA Today, divided it up and started reading.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment