Friday 26 June 2009

Blasting the Air-Con


    Could someone please turn down the air-conditioning? I'm freezing. Even though it's sweltering outside. I have to bring a sweater with me everywhere I go in case I step inside anywhere.
    It's just ridiculous really. It's not even funny. It's just a huge squandering of resources.
    Ah, that feels good. 
    When you're actually from a country, you can just criticize its ways without any worry of offending anyone. I'm allowed to say this because I'm American.
    You got that? I'm American. And I want someone to just turn down the air-con in this country before we've gobbled up all the resources this world has. We're using more than our fair share here, folks.  
    I saw in the paper yesterday that the Indian government banned air-con in government buildings to save money. And I know it's hot there.
    Here, though, we just crank it up so high that everyone makes jokes about it. Things like, the supermarket is the worst. You actually need your coat on to go in there.
   What? Why? People don't even like it. 
    There seems to be so little talk here of what humans are doing to our planet compared to the UK. 
    In Britain, it's constantly at the forefront of discussion -- in newspaper stories, television documentaries and movies.
    A documentary about the shocking depletion of fish in the world's oceans is huge now in Britain. Several supermarket chains and restaurants banned the sale of bluefin tuna after the movie came out.
    Here, grocery stores have the air-con on so high you can see your breath while you're shopping for bluefin tuna.
    Something's gotta give.      

No comments:

Post a Comment