Friday 31 July 2009

American know-how


    I met a young, attractive American woman at our hotel yesterday who definitely got me thinking.
    She's a wedding planner based in San Francisco who plans weddings for Americans all over Italy. She was here, lying by the pool, waiting to meet her bride later. 
    She said she doesn't usually come to the weddings, but in this case, she wanted to be sure this bride had the "magic day she deserves", as she put it. She had found a 24-person villa for the wedding party -- plus two other apartments -- but the whole party had to travel down the winding Amalfi road to the next town, and it's been really hot, so she just wanted to be sure it all went off without a hitch.
     She told me about her business, where she helps high-end clients plan any kind of event in Italy. I looked at her website later.
     American business sense just never ceases to amaze me. 
     This woman spoke virtually no Italian, had no real ties to Italy, and lives at least 15 hours away by non-stop flight. Yet, she had a thriving business (you could tell) helping luxury clients spend tons of money here in Italy. And she was making heaps of money doing it.
     And here I am, also American, but with fluent Italian, my own house, and a deep knowledge of almost everywhere in this country, scrounging around trying to get another job working for The Man. In London. Where I'm not sure I even want to be.
     There is something wrong with this picture, folks.
     This 55-year-old brain has just got to rid itself of all old notions of work. Forget about the media. And The Man. The Man never loves you back. 
      Concentrate on Italy. But use that American know-how I must've acquired too growing up in the States.
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment