Monday 4 January 2010

New Year's Resolutions

You got any New Year's resolutions?
Hope not.
I've dispensed with mine this year.
Don't think they lead to anything good.
Read a good story in a British paper over the holiday weekend about this very same topic. British press is always full of interesting stories actually, one of the best things about living here, I'm finding.
No matter what kind of day I'm having, I can always retreat to a coffee shop on the high street and a good paper. Even if I've already read a paper that day, there's always another one.
That may not last. I bet at least one will close this year.
Back to New Year's resolutions.
The story basically said that resolutions just lead to more stress -- so it's much better for your mental health to just do away with them all together.
I mean, how much are you going to change from Friday to Saturday of last week, really?
So why even put yourself through it?
I asked a Polish woman at a hair salon I go to today if she had made any New Year's resolutions.
She laughed and said no. Didn't do that anymore, she said.
Used to. For years. But gave it up.
And didn't even think about it once this year, until I just asked, she realized.
For a few years, my husband and I used to decide what our goal would be for the year and make a half-hearted joint resolution to work towards it.
That was fun. It was usually pretty obvious, something we had already decided.
Didn't touch that this year.
Neither of us have much of an idea what this year is going to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment