Thursday 28 January 2010

A Year Later

To: President Barack Obama
From: An American expat living in London and the side of a hill in Italy

I hear things are bad over there in Washington.
A friend who works on Capitol Hill told me yesterday that there's an exodus of Democrats, that Democratic lawmakers are so demoralized over the loss of Ted Kennedy's seat -- and another fight over healthcare -- that some are retiring, or making plans to leave Washington already.
She's leaving too, moving home to Colorado.
That made me so sad.
Even way over here on the side of my Italian hill.
So far from you in every way.
Last night, I couldn't stop thinking of your Inauguration last year.
I got up at 6 a.m. and walked several miles in the freezing cold down to the National Mall to cheer you on.
It was a special day.
So many people were there, from all over the States.
Everyone was just so happy, so hopeful.
"Yes, we can," we all shouted in unison. "Yes, we did!"
Just the most wonderful feeling.
I feel sorry for you, Barack.
I really felt that day that you could become one of the greatest presidents America had ever had.
And I still feel you could.
But they're not going to let you, are they?
Things seem to have changed so much there just in the one year I've been gone.
Where'd all that hope go?
That just makes me so sad.
Even way over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment