Tuesday 26 May 2009

Back to London Town

Help! I'm leaving Italy tonight, going back "home" to London. And if you thought I was bad here, just wait.
I wasn't going to leave. I was going to stay a lot longer. But a whisper of work has come my way there, so in the effort of settling, I'm going back. For awhile anyway.
I have no idea how much work it'll be, if it will lead to anything, or hardly anything about it at all. But if I never get any work in London, there's no chance I'll ever settle down there. And the longer I stay here, the less I can settle there.
And then and then and then...there's my British husband, who on good days, I actually still love.
Can you stay married if you live in two cities? Even if there's cheap flights between you?
Not sure about that.
And really, I can't afford to lose him now too. Then I'll really have nothing left.
So I'm off, back to our rented flat with no outside space in crowded old London, after my glorious side of the hill here.
What will I miss?
The calamari. The sun. My own house. Being Italian. Cappuccino in the piazza.
What will I gain?
My husband. Good bookstores. Movies in English. Great newspapers.
When will my life stop being about newspapers?

No comments:

Post a Comment