Thursday 14 May 2009

Graduation from Afar


   What kind of a mother misses her eldest son's graduation from college to sit on a side of a hill in Italy contemplating her destiny?  
    I wanted to go, I swear. But HE didn't even go. But that's actually my fault too.
    He did graduate with honors, though, so that's good, right?
    Even if his mother has abandoned him -- and his brother -- to a life with no family home to run home to with his laundry.  
    My son graduated from college on Mother's Day. Anything else I happened to miss out on that day? 
    But he was insistent he didn't want to go to the ceremony. He was going to work instead at his job delivering pizzas to save money for his big European trip this summer. It was going to be a good weekend to make money with so many people in town. 
    But, but? Can't his dad and I come back to see him graduate? Considering, I'm suicidal and stuff? 
    No need, ma. Not going. Plenty of parties with friends. See you later in the summer.
    But isn't everyone going? Why don't you want to go to your graduation?
    You didn't go to yours, did you, ma? I remember you told me that once.
    But, that was different. I was stupid. That was then. This is now. And I want to come.

     
     
          
           
    
        
            

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I seem to remember lo those many years ago that she didn't go to her high school graduation either.

    ReplyDelete