Sunday 31 May 2009

London Weather


      I would love to complain to you about London's weather. You know I would. 
      I could say things like, "how could my husband make a hot-blooded, sun-loving Italian-American like me live in this miserable wet climate, and then expect me to be happy?"
     You might even commiserate. Especially if you're a sun-worshipper like me.  
     Problem is, folks, the weather just isn't cooperating. 
     It's been really quite nice here -- okay, I'll say it, EVER SINCE WE MOVED HERE.
     London's had an amazing spring -- days upon days of sunshine actually. And even, days of unbroken sunshine, like Italians like, not just a peek-through for an hour or so.
     It's rained a bit, sure, but really not much. In English terms, certainly.   
     And London is majestic when the sun is shining. All that green looks so luscious.
     And it's almost June now too, so it doesn't get dark until past 10 p.m. So we've had some long sun-lit evenings that just seem to go on forever.
     But before we go all gooey-eyed here, the thing to keep in mind is that you just never know how long it's going to last. The Brits will tell you that in a minute. That's why they're all out there in their underwear sunbathing in the parks -- gotta take advantage of it while you can is the mind-set.         
     In Italy, and where I used to live in the States, once hot set in, that was pretty much it. You painted your toenails, broke out the sandals, and didn't think about it again until fall.
     Can't do that here. Tomorrow could be a gale. Or you could get hail later tonight. Or even in a few minutes.  
     Weather just moves over this island at an incredible speed. You can get all four seasons in one day. (Try dressing for that.)  
     A British friend of mine says last year, it was the same. Beautiful spring. And then summer set in, and it never stopped raining. 
     I'm not listening to that though. That would be negative of me. 
    And I've got to figure out what the hell to wear today.
     
                                    
     

No comments:

Post a Comment