Tuesday 19 May 2009

Calling Home


   Got a phone card yesterday to be able to save money calling my boys. The shop I went to only sold 5 Euro cards, but a friend had told me she could talk to her daughter in New Zealand for a long time for 5 Euros.   
   I settled in bed at about midnight to call my youngest son using the card. It was so nice to hear his voice.  
   As soon as we really started talking though, as soon as he started telling me what he was up to, the card ran out. Costs a lot more calling cellphone to cellphone, I guess, and like many young American kids, my sons only have cellphones. And we don't have a landline here (used to, but it got cut off -- long, boring Italian story). And his Internet isn't working at the moment.       
   The phone went dead. I sat there staring at it, wanting to hurl it across the room.
   Instead, I texted him telling him the card had run out and that I loved him. He texted me back saying he loved me too.
   My heart cannot stand this ache. 
   I was going to stay a lot longer here. But this morning, I'm thinking I need to get back to London. To be near my landline, where I can call the States for next to nothing. So I can talk to my boys whenever I want, for as long as they feel like it, before they don't want to talk to me anymore.
   How am I doing creating a great, new life for myself?    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment