Tuesday 24 November 2009

Another umbrella?

How many umbrellas can one person lose?
I mean really.
I'm up to about half a dozen now.
All little, collapsable black ones -- the ones that slip in your handbag.
Because you've got to have an umbrella here. Because you never know when it's going to be raining.
And despite what I said about it not raining that much (which it actually hasn't, in British terms), it still feels like it's rained a helluva lot. For me anyway.
But then I'm Italian.
Where it's hardly rained at all.
I keep leaving them on the Tube mostly. Or at the station, I guess, when I'm reading my free paper.
Even though I always tell myself when I put the dripping thing down, that this time, I'm just not going to forget it.
But then I do.
Geez.
And no way can you carry a big umbrella around all day.
So gotta get another one, just like all the other ones.
Before I realized that they sell them everywhere -- and that the price fluctuates madly -- I paid £14 for one, which is about $20. Lately, I was down to about £4.
When I got off work today, it was raining. Well, drizzling really. And it's a 10-minute walk to the Tube either way. So I got wet.
When I stepped outside the building and noticed it was raining, I told another woman standing there bundling up about how I keep leaving umbrellas everywhere.
And how I was friggin' sick of it.
She said I gotta go to the lost and found at the Tube station and tell them I've lost a black collapsable small umbrella.
They'll have hundreds of them, she said.
No problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment