Wednesday 11 November 2009

The Eldest

My son is starting to make a life here.
Baby steps, anyway.
He's been here about six weeks now.
This internship has helped a lot. There's been work to go to in central London every day, of course, and he's met a few people he likes there. It's a young, lively office.
He's enjoyed the actual work too. They've given him quite a bit of real work, for an internship, work he's enjoyed and been good at. He's gotten good feedback. He's learned new skills.
There's been some extra-curricular events to go to as well, in the evening, which has also been fun.
The busier the better. After a few weeks of not much.
They've asked him to stay on a couple weeks longer at the end, a chance he jumped at, since there were two dead weeks before his younger brother comes for Christmas.
Our youngest is coming, only for ten days unfortunately -- he's got late finals and then wants to be home by New Year's Eve with his friends.
But then, my oldest and I are planning on going to Italy.
To settle him in for this next internship that he's gotten, the one in his field of study, the one in Rome.
The six-month paid one that could, just maybe, lead to a permanent job. If he does well. If the economy picks up.
We haven't heard anything more from them, but we're staying confident.
Even in the midst of a deluge of stories about how recent college graduates are facing the toughest job market in years.
I still can't believe that my eldest son, 24 next month, who just graduated from college in May in the States, is going to go live on our side of the hill -- and commute to a job, okay internship, in Rome.
It's a hike. You have to leave an hour to be sure to get there on time. But he can drive the clunker I just bought.
But he has no friends there.
But he will be working in Rome.
I'll stay for a couple weeks, then I'll come back to London -- to be with my husband, to continue working myself. If I don't, my own freelance job will disappear.
And then he'll be there. Alone at our Italian house. In a little town, on a side of a hill in central Italy. While we're here.
Is this what we were hoping would happen if we moved back to Europe?
Is this going to work out?

No comments:

Post a Comment