Monday 9 November 2009

Starbucks

I love that they give you your cappuccino in a real cup here.
Even at Starbucks.
Why don't they do that at home?
They don't ask you at home if you're staying, or taking your overpriced coffee out, because they always just give it to you in a styrofoam cup with a plastic lid whatever you're gonna do with it.
It's so much nicer in a real cup. It makes it an occasion. And you don't mind forking over $5 quite as much.
This morning, I stopped at Starbucks, for almost the first time.
There's a real anti-Starbucks thing here, and I understand it.
They're squeezing out, other, smaller chains. And that pisses people off.
In this recession, they've taken over leases of smaller coffee shops that have gone bust.
At home, I used to go to Starbie's all the time. It was really the only place TO go to get a reliable cappuccino. Or espresso.
Here, there's lot of coffee places.
But they're not all good, I've found. At all.
Not that I think Starbuck's is that good.
I think Italian coffee is good.
But this morning, hate to admit it, had a nice cappuccino -- right temperature, right amount of milk in proportion to coffee -- at Starbie's this morning. In a nice mug.
With a yummy almond croissant. On a plate.
Sitting at the window, looking out at the high street, reading my paper for half-an-hour.
Quite civilized.
Is is that hard to wash a few mugs?

No comments:

Post a Comment