Monday 28 September 2009

A Girl's Best Friend

Can closets make you happy? Or is just the order they bring to your life that gives a woman peace?
Came back to London and was forced to immediately confront the closet situation. First, had to unpack, which can still be hard, and then I have to make room for our eldest, who's coming to live with us for awhile, with his stuff on Saturday. Please let it not be too much stuff. Is that mean and unmotherly?
Have no idea where to put it.
On top of that, it is now going to be winter, so there's the whole winter clothes versus summer clothes thing that everyone goes through. Tried to leave as much summer stuff in Italy as possible. Feel like I've lost several things already.
Had to tackle the closets right away because there's only today and tomorrow before I go back to my freelance job, which because it's all new, requires substantial mental effort -- not to mention the 45-minute commute there and back.
Back to closets. And order in one's life, something okay, I'll admit, I'm addicted to.
There's no hall closet in this flat for coats, so I just stuffed my husband's coats in with his clothes in his one closet, which is in the spare room where our son will stay. My husband still had a bit of room in his closet, and the shit's gotta go somewhere.
We have put up some hooks in the tiny hall when you come in for coats, but I'm needing that for my jackets, so I can free half the other closet in the spare room for our eldest.
Yes, I have two closets. And my husband only has one.
We used to have a walk-in closet in the States. I'm sorry. Shoot me now.
Should I just throw all this shit away?
I will if you tell me to.
I once wrote a newspaper story about closets.
About bigger and bigger closets, with granite islands in the middle with pull-out drawers -- closets the sizes of big bedrooms.
That was in another life.
Now, I need to go to IKEA to get some shelves for the closets, so I can stack stuff better in them.
And one of those stand-up coat stands for the landing.
My husband's going to New York this week for work. Not sure we're gonna have time before my son arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment