Wednesday 30 September 2009

No Newspaper Day

I hate to admit it, but I did not buy a newspaper today.
I read three or four -- certainly not the best ones this town has to offer -- but I didn't actually pay for any. Which is not a good trend. For them, I mean.
First, I picked up the free morning paper at my Tube stop in the morning on the way to work. They gotta stop giving away free papers everywhere if you ask me. It makes you not want to pay for them. Lots of other commuters picked one up like me. They have them stacked up conveniently near the stairs.
I still haven't broken down and gotten a paper delivered, although I guess I'm going to soon. I'm still deciding which paper I want every day -- I like a few of them -- although I am close. And we were away a lot over the summer. And it gave me a reason to go out, get the paper.
Anyway, so this morning, in a rush, I just picked up the free paper at the train in the morning instead of buying one. Save myself a pound. And then someone left the section I like best in one of the quality papers on the Tube, so snagged that. (That happens a bit).
During the day, at work, I checked the Web a bit to read up on the tsunami in Asia.
In the evening, I got the free afternoon paper, guy always hands it to me as I walk down the stairs at the Piccadilly Circus station.
Thanks, I say.
Okay, these are not good papers. But you never know if you're going to get a seat on the Tube, especially in the evening, and you need something to read, and the good papers are fatter of course, and harder to fold, even though they're all tabloids here. Fat tabloids. Love that.
There was another paper left on the Tube in the evening, so even though I don't like it that paper very much -- it's one of the trashy tabs with the naked girls -- I still took it. Why not? I'll look at it tonight, or tomorrow morning with my coffee. They did break news today.
I still like to linger over a newspaper in the morning -- an hour or so ideally. But I am finding, that when I have to go to work, I'd actually rather listen to the BBC World Service, which is just so good.
All bad news for newspapers.
I mean, I'm a die-hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment