Tuesday 8 September 2009

Odd Homecoming

I'm back on my side of the hill in Italy, arrived here late this afternoon. It felt kinda odd when I got here.
It was the first time in 10 years that I've ever arrived on my own. I always come with my husband. Once, I came with a girlfriend.
I've been here on my own, as you know. Even though this summer was the first time I've been here on my own too.
But now I actually came on my own as well, which felt different. Like, here I am, living here, and living in London too? I've been here more than two months this summer already.
My husband's in London still, working, but he's coming next week for a couple weeks, until the end of September. So I'm only alone this week.
It felt a little strange tonight, him there in London at home, me here in Italy at home. Two homes for the two of us.
Should I have just stayed in London with him instead of coming here early on my own? Came out when he could come out too? Felt a little guilty doing that.
I already feel summer closing in though, here too.
It's not that hot here now. Tonight, it's even a bit breezy.
I still have the living room doors open though. But now I have the iron grates locked in front of them.
I have to lock them every night, my husband says. And double-lock the front door. He's right, of course.
I locked the iron grates this evening when I went to the grocery store to pick up some food for dinner. And then I didn't open them again.
They're beautiful, sturdy iron with a graceful pattern, but I've never sat in the living room looking at the closed iron grates rather than the big glass windows before.
And soon I'll go to bed, for the first night since the robbers came.
Lots of firsts.
All a little strange here tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment