Saturday 3 October 2009

Sick...again

Sorry I haven't written in a couple days, but I've been getting sick...again. Now, today, Saturday, I'm just plain old sick. And my son arrived this morning from the States -- to live with us for awhile.
Another fever, and cough, with a cold this time too. Started with a sore throat. My husband had it too, the last few days we were in Italy, and so did a guest just before him.
Nobody had the swine flu first though. Just saying.
I'm just catching everything anybody happens to bring by these days.
Is my body trying to tell me something? Has it all just been too much for this old bod?
That's what the shrinks would tell you, when you've gotten as sick as I have twice in the past six weeks. In the summer.
I mean, I haven't been sick like this in years. Can't even remember when.
Or is it just new germs here in Europe, microbes I hadn't been exposed to living in the States for the past dozen years?
I've found that before when I've moved actually, that I would get sick a lot in the first year. I always put that down to catching new bugs. Might have read that somewhere, sometime, don't know for sure. Always reading random stuff in random places.
Anyway, sick.
It really hit me yesterday afternoon -- at work, of course.
The Friday night ride home on the packed Tube was excruciating. Had a fever. Just wanted to get there already, and lie down.
Or even sit down.
At one point, I did squeeze in behind this one guy to get a seat on the Piccadilly line, kinda, sorta pushing him gently out of the way. I excused myself, told him I felt sick, needed a seat. Clutched my kleenex.
He was nice.
How many people did I give my new sickness to on the Tube then?
I've heard a few people coughing this past week on the Tube -- and wondered that precise thing.
Ohmigod.
Is this going to be the winter of sick?
Anyway, anyway.
My son's here. Incredible.
He's sleeping in the spare room -- his room now -- with all his stuff stacked up around him after his overnight flight from Washington.
My husband went out to get some makings for breakfast for when he wakes up. Don't want my son to get sick now too. He's the one I think gave me the swine flu, so he's been sick already, like me.
Sick or not, this is a colossal moment in time. Monumental actually.
Our son has just given up his life in the States to live here with us in London.
Do they sell Sudafed here?

No comments:

Post a Comment