Monday 19 October 2009

Learning English

My son and I walked out yesterday afternoon to have an afternoon pick-me-up sweet. Decided to go have a nutella crepe at a place nearby.
It was Sunday and sunny, so there were hundreds of people out on our high street. On nice weekend afternoons, the high street here is simply packed with people, shopping, having brunch, walking hand-in-hand, picking up fresh flowers, kids on pedal scooters, kids in strollers, old couples with linked arms, women in short-shorts, women in veils -- all of humanity is there.
It makes you feel part of things to be out with them all.
So we strolled along, bought a Sunday paper, and then sat at an outdoor table in the sun at the French crepe place.
The waitress, cute, perky and thin with curly long brown hair, came up to take our order.
She could barely speak English, but I knew that accent well -- hell, I grew up with it.
"Are you Italian?" I asked her, in Italian.
Huge relief swept across her young face.
And we proceeded to have a quick get-to-know-you in Italian.
The young Roman girl, only 20, just got to London a week ago. Got the job at the French crepe place two days earlier.
She couldn't talk long. She was new. She kept looking over her shoulder to see if the boss was watching.
Came to London to learn English. Got a room nearby.
But it was hard.
Found this job, though, so that was good. Even though it was only part-time.
Missed Rome like hell. Big fat tears welled up in her huge doe-like eyes when I asked about home.
Used to work as a waitress at the Cavallieri Hilton in Rome, up in the Monte Mario neighborhood.
I know it well. Family friends lived in the neighborhood for years; I've spent a lot of time around there.
"I had to learn English," she said, in Italian. "Otherwise, I'll still be a waitress there when I'm 40."
"If I learn English, then I can go back to the hotel there and do something else, not be a waitress."
Go home, to Rome, of course. As soon as possible.
Big watery brown eyes.
As we walked back home, we noticed that another place on our high road, a bit more up-market, had a sign up asking for experienced waiters.
With good English.
Stressed that part.
My son eyed it.
May have to go that route after this internship.
Which thankfully, starts a week from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment