Wednesday 21 October 2009

Work Again

Amazing how much self-worth we get from our jobs.
I hate that though. The reliance on that.
But it feels so good when things go right.
Which they often don't in the workplace.
The work I did over the past three days at my freelance job got validated today. Good play, compliments.
First time that's happened to me since I left my old job uh, more than a year ago now.
My old job wasn't always good, like a lot of jobs, it went up and down, but at the end, it was the best it had ever been.
I was on a roll right before I left -- writing for different sections of the paper, writing, writing, writing. My kids had left home; my parents had died. I had time for the first time in two decades. And my newspaper was full of places where a reporter with time could express themselves.
It was all good.
Until it all went bad.
Because the newspaper industry is dying. Which is so sad.
Everyone involved with it knows it though.
So I took the buy-out. Even though things were going good.
Next buy-out -- they've had two more since mine -- I probably wouldn't have had a choice. Didn't have great choices even when I took it.
More reason to look towards the future. Not stay mired in the past. Like my girlfriend said.
And today, I am.
Because they liked what I wrote. Gave it good play. Told me about it.
Aaah...
How pathetic is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment