Wednesday 14 October 2009

Sleep-overs of the past

My son has had his high school friend, who's touring England with his band, over to spend the night the last two nights. With the other members of the band.
All three of them in our tiny living room. With my son in the spare room.
Yesterday, before I went to work, I heard the alarm ring in the living room, so I knew my son's friend, who I wanted to say hello to, was up. I knocked on the door after a few minutes, when I heard rustling, before getting ready to leave the house. To say a quick hi, good luck with his London concert, and bye.
I wasn't expecting the other two guys there too. Two of them on the futon mattress, which they had put on the floor. The other one stretched out on the sofa, huddled under a little throw we have. All crowded in, sandwiched in between the too much furniture we have in there.
It was like something out of middle school. But with a lot less room.
They came in at about 2 a.m. both nights, my son said, and then stayed up in the living room talking for awhile, before crashing.
One of my neighbor's bedrooms is right under our living room. I hope they didn't bother them. Never had to worry about bothering anyone when my sons had all their friends over in our basement.
It was great to see my son's friend -- and his friends too. I'm so proud of him, that he has a band, that he's touring the UK. He's a very talented young guy.
And it was like the old days, having him spend the night.
Our house was always the house the boys came to.
I just wish I had the room I used to have.
But most of all, I wish they weren't leaving today.
My son's had a lot of fun with them the last couple of days, I can tell.
Last night, he went to their concert up in Camden, in north London, which he said was really cool.
I bet.
I wish this boy, now a man, but to me always one of the little boys who used to hang out in my basement, wasn't leaving the UK tomorrow.
He's got one last concert tonight in Brighton, and then that's it.
Maybe he'll get another tour next year, he told my son.
Maybe he'll come back to London next year.
That seems like a long way off.
It made my son happy to have him around.
And it felt like the old days, when he had friends -- and a full life.
The easy old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment