Thursday 22 October 2009

Taking the Eurostar

So excited today! Gonna take the Eurostar to Paris.
To visit a girlfriend for the weekend. The one who divides her time between London and Paris.
Never taken the Eurostar under the English Channel before. And it's already 15 years old.
Everyone says it's cool. Only takes two-and-a-half hours to get to Paris. Leaving this afternoon, will be there in time for dinner with her. At her local cafe, she suggested, downstairs from her flat.
Yes!
This is the kind of weekend I imagined myself having when I thought about living in London.
But it's the first time I've done anything like this. And we've been here 8 months already. (that long?).
I mean, I've been to Italy a lot, certainly over the summer, but I never just ran off for a long weekend somewhere, somewhere close, yet far (like Paris). All my trips to Italy were long, really long by anyone's standards. More like living there.
This summer was all about trying to get comfortable there, make it home. And then make this home too. And look for work here. And run all the administrative errands that come with moving (no, I still haven't changed all my addresses -- don't even know how long I'll be at this address really).
And all the mind traps.
And then my son. Stress about what he was going to do -- trying to help.
But now that's sorted for awhile.
So it's time for a fun little jaunt like this. For myself.
I need to have a little bit of fun now, just a little.
Even though I haven't worked that much (in a traditional sense), over the past 14 months, I feel like I've worked myself to the bone. In my mind. I'm exhausted. From the stress of it all. From the anxiety.
That may sound ridiculous.
So I beg your forgiveness in advance.
My husband and son will spend the weekend together here in London. My husband's off work. My son has four more days until his internship starts.
Ciao for awhile!
Or shall I say, "bon voyage!"

No comments:

Post a Comment